Whether you drive a car with a manual or an automatic transmission, it’s important to make sure that the transmission is in great shape at all times. At Clarke’s Discount in Aloha, our certified mechanics can take a look at your car whenever you need us to, and if you’ve noticed that your transmission is “slipping,” or you’re having trouble shifting, then bring your vehicle to use right away. A slipping transmission can soon lead to a blown transmission, which can leave you stranded on the side of the road far from home.
Signs of a Slipping Transmission
When your transmission is in good shape, you likely won’t even notice when it shifts into a higher gear as you drive down the road. However, if you’ve noticed any of these signs, it’s imperative to bring your car to a mechanic right away:
- Delays in acceleration – If your car has trouble accelerating, or you’re pushing the pedal down but don’t seem to be going any faster, it could be a sign that your transmission is having trouble shifting into the next hear.
- High RPMs – This can be related to delayed acceleration, since your engine’s RPMs will increase as you push down the gas pedal. If the tachometer (the display that shows RPMs) shows a high RPM without your car increasing speed, the problem could lie with the transmission.
- Strange smells or noises – If you smell a strange odor or notice odd sounds when you drive your car, it’s essential to have the vehicle checked as soon as possible. Your transmission fluid could be burnt, leading to the odor, and any strange sound could be coming from the clutch plates not aligning correctly.
What’s Causing the Problem?
If you’ve noticed any of the signs of a slipping transmission, bring your car to our shop and we’ll get to the source of what’s causing the problem. It doesn’t matter if you have an automatic or a manual – we’ll find the issue and remedy it.
- Clutch problems – If you drive an automatic, you may not think you have a clutch, since there’s no third pedal in the cabin, but that’s not the case. Both automatic and manual transmissions have clutches, it’s just that automatics do the shifting for you. WIth a manual, you use the clutch and the shifter to move the car into the next gear while driving. If the clutch is worn, it can be very difficult for the car to shift when necessary, whether or not you’re doing the shifting
- Fluid leaks – Your transmission needs fluid to operate smoothly, and if there’s a leak in the fluid pan, a crack in the line, or a rupture in the torque converter, you could be driving with little to no transmission fluid in your vehicle. This can lead to total transmission failure, which is something that no one wants to deal with on their way to work or when leaving on vacation.
- Solenoid issues – The solenoid is the electrohydraulic valve that controls the flow of transmission fluid. If we’ve checked the clutch and the fluid levels, and found both to be fine, the next likely culprit is the solenoid. If this part is malfunctioning or completely broken, then the right amount of fluid isn’t being dispersed into the transmission. This is an issue that needs to be fixed as soon as possible.
A faulty transmission can leave you frustrated on the side of the road, and at Clarke’s Discount, that’s the last thing we want. If you notice any of the signs we listed above, then please bring your vehicle to us as soon as possible. Our mechanics will provide excellent service and do a thorough job of checking your transmission, getting to the bottom of the issue as quickly as possible. We want to get you back on the road sooner rather than later!
Our shop is located at 19530 SW Shaw in Aloha, and you can stop in Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 6:00pm. You can also call us at (503) 716-5835 and a member of our team will answer all of your questions. You can also use the form below, and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can!